Friday, January 20, 2012

The Curse of Creativity!

Okay, so there are a lot of pros and cons of being a writer.  You can work whenever and wherever you want.  It’s hard work, it takes a long time, and people throw tomatoes at you.  You can make people fall in love with your fantasies or cause them to stop reading fiction altogether.


But there’s one big anchor, in my mind, that is always dragging me near the shore of writing.  It’s a switch I have a hard time turning off.

What I’m talking about are endless possibilities.  Creativity.  Getting an idea everywhere I go.

I’m not sure how other people work, but during relaxation periods, or what should be relaxation periods, an idea always drills itself into my mind.

Playing a video game…idea!

Reading a book…idea!

Watching any movie, even Flubber…idea!


Everywhere we turn, everything we see, it was all inspired by ideas.  And for most forms of entertainment, there’s a form of writing behind them.  Video games.  Books (obviously).  Television shows.  Movies.  Commercials.  Websites.  Songs.  Everything.

I think the problem is, being creative-based, having endless possibilities, I see something great and am inspired to bring my writing to that level.  I see something horrible, and I’m inspired to create something better.  It’s always a lose-lose situation.

Halfway into a book, I’ll put it down forever, and come away with three new ideas.  Halfway into a movie, I can’t concentrate fully, because I’m imagining a character similar to the lead actor, or I get a new idea for a plot, or theme, or object.

What I’m saying is, it’s hard when the creative switch is always left on, to fully enjoy the entertainment the world has to offer.  To invest 100%, heck, even 75% into something.  To give it my full attention.

I’ve been doing better lately.  One of my resolutions was to give writing and me some space.  Enjoy other things.  To accept the fact that not every plot can be neatly wrapped up.  That not every story can be finished.  That in time, maybe they will.  But don’t lose any sleep over works-in-progress or a brain full of ideas. 

Doing other things like spending time with family, enjoying free time, working out, they’re all essential to being happy mentally and physically.  Balance.  It’s all about balance.

What are some of the ways you keep your head from exploding?  From creativity driving you mad?

No comments:

Post a Comment